Saturday, May 20, 2006

The whole 11.5 kilometers

The other thing that seemed to occupy my mind apart from the flashy guns was the fanaticism. It was everywhere I looked!

Be it the ruthless sun or rainstorms (may be a bit exaggerated, but I experienced both) or just the suffocating smell of horse shit (that smell still lingers!), there were people everywhere! There were ‘barely alive’ oldies dragging themselves with the help of sticks. There were numerous handicaps/ oldies/ fat aunties and uncles being carried on ponies and other carriages. There was even a guy who had decided to traverse the whole ‘yatra’ distance by crawling! (I’m not exaggerating)

Now, even though I’m not a believer, this still seems amazing. It is just difficult to believe how 3 carved stones (supposedly gods) can draw people from the extremities of the country and endure an 11.5 km (or longer depending upon the path you choose) incline just so they can see them for 2 secs!

If you ask me again, I’d do it again probably for company or the walk but not for that reason, but apparently people (millions) do it just for those 2 seconds! Its simply an amazing thought. (Although stupid according to me)

No comments: