Saturday, May 13, 2006

Click, record, play !

This is one of those things I’d like to get my hands on. It is a music system, radio, DVD player, TV and a digital Media library all combined in one ! In other words, at least for me, Windows Media Center PC is just one of those things which you’ve gotta have.

For me the coolest bit is that fact that it allows you to save what’s coming on TV. How many times I’ve wished so desperately that I could’ve saved that episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. (although now you can easily buy it on DVD) or some documentary on NatGeo and Discovery or the movie coming on Star Movies or HBO. Well, it’s possible to simply click, record and play it later!

But the fact is it just doesn’t end there. I mean for a music freak like me, I would be able to save all the music videos I want! That makes me wonder, is that allowed ? Well it is a problem because I might now wanna buy a CD again, I could simply burn them from the PC (I’m not complaining though).

I’m actually one of those people who like to ‘keep’ certain things they like. I have huge number of movies, music, arbit videos, etc that I’ve burnt over the years. It’s probably a materialistic kind of a sin but I think it’s always good when you r stranded at home on a rainy day and there’s nothing on TV to have some classics you can always watch. I think the PC is a great opportunity for such kind of people. I mean imagine the possibilities, a collection of my favorite movies, tons of music that too videos, all the cool documentaries like Extreme Machines or on space etc, and all that recorded for free! I just can’t stop dreaming!

Although I don’t think its positioning as the complete Family PC is quite correct. I mean imagine a situation when your teenage daughter wants to listen to FM, your son wants to do some head banging on the latest RHCP CD he just bought, your mom wants to watch Swami Ramdev and your wife wants to watch the Saas-Bahu dramas and all you’ve got is your Family PC ! I mean then u are in deep …. ( and I didn’t even mention what you wanted to watch !)

According to me it should’ve been positioned as one of those products where you get more out of the deal. I mean at just 30,000 Rs the starting price, and the easy financing schemes generally available on these things, it doesn’t look like the complete family ‘thing’ ready to replace all the benefits it claims it could alone. Besides not all the typical families are all that tech-savvy. It’s probably for those couples who’re busy earning money and can’t really find the time to watch they want to. Or for those working bachelors.

For me, I just have to wait till I fall in any of those groups. :(

No comments: