Thursday, May 11, 2006

Planning for the Mecca-s

My folks just came back and are planning a trip to visit 2 Meccas of the Hindu religion. Namely Vaishno Devi and Jwala Ji. They both have fascinating stories behind them and I’d definitely like to touch upon them once I’m back from the trip (and better acquainted with them).

But what is of more attention right now is the planning and strategizing that goes behind this. The meticulous calculation of the kilometers and the per kilometer rates. The careful revision of the hours and the lodgings. I was a mute spectator to this however. But that’s because my opinion in this matter would not be given a lot of weightage as of now and secondly, and more importantly, I don’t know how to plan a trip !

The former issue doesn’t worry me too much. After all, its just a matter of a year or so when I start living by myself right ? But this very thought, the fact that I’ll be living by myself, coupled with the second issue produces the kind of irritation probably equaled by scratching your nails on a blackboard. Its not an emotion of fear, anxiety or being overwhelmed. Its just irritation. I mean I’ve seen people my age travel 3,300 km alone on a bike to one of the most challenging places in the country like Laddakh. And here I am having gone only as far as Beawar, a non descript village near an equally boring city in Rajasthan. I mean of course I’ve taken the odd trip with friends to hill-stations like Nainital, etc. and I’ve had my share of weed at places like Dharmashala. But the drive for adventure screams inside me, the adrenaline inside begs to rush. It is irritating.

Well to use a cliché, there’s always a first time, and I’m glad mine is coming soon. In September to be precise, when I pack my bags and fly to Warsaw for three months on Exchange to Warsaw School of Economics. I’ve already started ‘googling’ for various trekking opportunities available.

But as for now, I’ll have to be content with Vaishno Devi and Jwala Ji and sit mutely in the passenger’s seat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that I dont care what god does or doesnt ... but if you are going alone to these places, I can come along :D

+h3 h!tm4n