Sunday, May 14, 2006

Right here, Right Now

I was watching all these so called ‘experts’ on television debate about reservation and the right to equality when I realized that I couldn’t recall my fundamental rights. Of course then it’s a foregone conclusion that I had absolutely no recollection of what my fundamental duties were.

So out of rabid curiosity on what all I am entitled to in my package to live and be born in this country, I asked uncle Google to enlighten me on my fundamental rights. Sure enough I got all kinds of descriptions and was surprised about my ignorance. (I have asked a few people here and there since and I was consoled that I wasn’t the only one in that department)

It’s not very difficult after reading the fine print a couple of times that you realize that one is actually not as free as he/ she thinks he is. Sprinkled generously in the description of the rights are innumerous loopholes disguised as ‘security of state’, ‘public order’ and the ace of all … ‘morality’.

With so many kinds of people in the society, I am very confused on the definition of that word. I don’t think I need to elaborate on just how much ‘unity in diversity’ our nation or our society has on the bounds of morality. So if you actually try to include everyone’s definition, then the ‘right to freedom’ should actually be renamed to ‘miniscule acceptable – things’. On the other hand, ignoring someone’s moral concerns would probably be considered un-democratic and the person may exercise his Right to freedom (of speech) to invoke his Right to constitutional remedies to protect his Right against Exploitation (of morality), being not held in the light of Right to Equality (by me) therefore undermining his Right to religion and his Cultural and Educational rights.

Phew ! No wonder these lawyers always have these volumes and volumes of books in the backgrounds whenever they come on television. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

vintage sudhanshu...ur still just sa good as u were when v were n skool.............xcelent article

Anonymous said...

lol yeah but i still cant believe that you didnt know the fundamental rights!!!

Anonymous said...

I just liked the scene on TV where they showed the police beating hte hell out of those guys... reminded me of my grad days when we too had faced a similar ordeal... ours bore no fruit... i hope this one does... after all students have been the harbinger of peace for long...