Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Rang de Basanti effect

I’ve been meaning to write about this for a while. Not like I’m in a rush to be the first to ‘coin’ a term or anything. I don’t really care about that. But I think some credit should be given where it is due. I think the makers of the movie / movie itself deserves credit for the kind of movement it has ignited.

It could probably be verified with the help of statistics but I don’t have the kind of patience to do that. But by memory, I can recall how the movement against the accused in the Jessica Lall murder case was initiated by the people and actually carried out in the Rang De Basanti style. People actually had a candle march at the India gate just like in the movie. The courts (especially the supreme court) also swung into action soon afterwards. Not just in the Jessica Lall case but infact in a battery of other cases, which had been lying stagnant for years/ decades, some activity and judgments were seen.

It is very likely that these protesting people and the proactive judges were inspired by the movie and the whole of the recent improvements are a resultant of that.

Maybe RDB was the tipping point.

1 comment:

SG said...

Inappropiate place to put a comment but I like "MML" on the edge ;)